Thursday, August 20, 2026
HomeSportArteta Says Guimaraes Remains A Doubt For Arsenal’s Premier League Opener Against...

Arteta Says Guimaraes Remains A Doubt For Arsenal’s Premier League Opener Against Coventry

Arsenal midfielder Bruno Guimaraes is a doubt for Friday’s Premier League opener against newly promoted Coventry City, as manager Mikel Arteta prepares his squad to begin its title defence.

Guimaraes joined Arsenal from Newcastle United this month in a deal reportedly worth £75 million ($102 million). The 28-year-old Brazilian was seen applying ice to his leg after being substituted during Arsenal’s Community Shield victory over Manchester City on Sunday.

“It’s evolving well, but let’s see,” Arteta said when asked about Guimaraes’ fitness ahead of the Coventry match.

Keeping key players healthy will be a major priority for Arsenal after injuries threatened to derail their championship campaign last season. Kai Havertz, Martin Odegaard and Gabriel Jesus were among several important players who missed extended periods.

Arteta said Arsenal must improve squad availability and become more dominant if they want to create greater margins over their opponents.

Arsenal enter the campaign attempting to achieve something they have never done in the Premier League era — successfully defend the title. The club has won 14 English top-flight championships and previously captured three consecutive titles during the 1930s.

Arteta said he enters the new season feeling more excited and hungry, adding that he has no doubts about his players’ desire to win again.

Arsenal Looking at Defensive Reinforcements

Arsenal could also make further moves before the transfer window closes. Arteta confirmed the club is looking to strengthen its defensive options amid reports that Arsenal have agreed a £51 million deal for Aston Villa and England centre-back Ezri Konsa.

The manager declined to confirm the reported agreement, saying Arsenal would make an announcement when there was something ready to disclose.

Arteta also dismissed speculation surrounding Myles Lewis-Skelly, saying he was “100% sure” the 19-year-old would remain at Arsenal.

However, departures remain possible as the club reshapes its squad. Gabriel Martinelli, Gabriel Jesus and Ethan Nwaneri have all been linked with potential moves.

Arteta acknowledged that difficult decisions would have to be made, stressing that any departures should be handled with honesty, transparency and respect for the players involved.

Arsenal will now turn its attention to Coventry as the defending champions begin another pursuit of the Premier League title, with Guimaraes’ availability among the key questions heading into the opening fixture.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Popular