IRCC Announces Measures To Strengthen Family Reunification, Extends Work Permits
- Canada has taken action to improve client service and process applications faster. In 2022, we finalized more than 5.2 million applications across our multiple lines of business, resulting in millions of people getting decisions on their cases.
- Since July 2022, new spousal sponsorship applicants can expect their applications to be processed within the service standard of 12 months (for 80% of cases, for non-Quebec applications).
- Open work permits are available to foreign nationals in a number of different situations, but not all will be eligible for an extension through this facilitated processing measure. It will only be offered to
- permanent residence applicants awaiting a decision on their permanent residence application and their spouses
- family class-sponsored spouses with valid temporary resident status and their dependent children
- spouses and common-law partners of most work permit holders and their dependent children
- spouses and common-law partners of study permit holders
- Canada issued more than 1,075,000 work permits and work permit extensions in 2022.