What do Maureen Forrester, Rick Moranis, Steven Page (Barenaked Ladies), Paul Shaffer, Nick St. Nicholas (Steppenwolf), and William Shatner have in common?
All are highlighted in David Eisenstadt’s just released book, MUSICANS UNDER THE RADAR – 36 NOTABLE CANADIAN JEWISH PERFORMERS (ADHEMAR PRESS), now available in paperback and Kindle E-readers on Amazon.ca, Amazon.com and Amazon sites the world over.
This new book highlights Canadian Jewish musicians “who in my opinion and for various reasons, have somewhat disappeared from the public eye. On first blush, a few have achieved above the radar fame in other areas of the arts, yet what will surprise readers is that these performers also have credible musical chops and credentials,” he said. Witness the careers of Moranis, Shaffer and Shatner, as examples.
Written from a history, not critical music perspective, Eisenstadt’s musician selection criteria includes performers who are Canadian (although not necessarily Canadian born), Jewish, all genres and genders, individuals as performers or in groups, alive or having passed on.
Some of the other notable artists covered include:
- Batsheva – Folksinger
- Boris Brott – Classical Music Conductor
- David Buchbinder – Jazz & Klezmer Trumpeter
- Paul Brodie – Saxophonist, Educator
- Socalled (Josh Dolgin) – Rapper, Pianist, Composer, Puppeteer
- Hyman Goodman – Violinist
- Brian Katz – Guitarist, Composer, Improvisor, Educator
- Jeanne Lamon – Leader of Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra
- Ruth Lowe – Songwriter (for Frank Sinatra)
- Corky Laing – Drummer (Mountain)
- Jens Lindemann – Classical & Jazz Trumpeter
- Lorne Lofsky – Jazz Guitarist, Educator
- Rosalie Moscoe – Children’s Music Entertainer, Songwriter
- Cantor Charles Osborne – Tenor, Jewish Music Composer
- Bernie Senensky – Jazz Pianist/Organist (Moe Koffman’s long-time colleague)
- Theresa Tova – Singer, Actor, Playwright, Industry Activist
- Nikki Yanofsky – Jazz & Pop Singer, Composer
Why 36? “Jewish tradition holds that the number 36 has had special significance since the beginning of time. Mathematically 36 is double 18, which means ‘life’ … and what started for me as a hobby during COVID-19 continues as a journey of learning and my experience writing historical articles and books has more than doubly enriched my life“, Eisenstadt explained.
“I expect the book to find its way and be available in bookstores, initially in the Greater Toronto area including Indigo, TYPE Books and Book City locations, he added.
His first book, also available in paperback and E-kindle readers on Amazon.ca and other Amazon sites, UNDER THE RADAR – 30 NOTABLE CANADIAN JEWISH MUSICIANS (undertheradarbook.com) was published by BARONEL BOOKS and released in November 2021. Featured musicians in that book include Corey Hart, Marc Jordan, Moe Koffman, Danny Marks, The Diamonds/Stan Fisher-Phil Levitt, Sharon, Lois & Bram, Amy Sky, The Travellers/Jerry Gray and Zal Yanovsky/Lovin’ Spoonful, among others.
Eisenstadt expects he’ll be speaking about his latest work to Canadian and US community groups, synagogues /temples, university music departments, and news media as he continues to do so with his first book. For bookings, he can be reached – firstname.lastname@example.org or by cell, 416-561-5751.