On July 11, 2023, Town Council approved the Town of Oakville Council Strategic Plan and 2023-2026 Action Plan that will help guide their decision making over the next four years. With a new vision to be a vibrant and livable community for all, the long-term strategy reflects the community’s desire for an active, beautiful and full-of-life community where people of all ages and abilities have a place to call home. Council and town staff are ready to serve the community in a responsible, inclusive way, dedicated to building economic, social, and environmental sustainability and take action on the strategic priorities that have been set in the plan.
- Growth management
- Managing growth for a vibrant local economy, meeting infrastructure needs and ensuring we have complete communities and efficient mobility across the town
- Community Belonging
- Enhancing community belonging to ensure all residents are invited to engage in a fulfilling community life that is built to support wellbeing.
- Environmental Sustainability
- Ensuring environmental sustainability to meet future needs related to greenspace, natural areas, and act on climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Accountable government
- Providing accountable government for excellence in service delivery and responsible management of resources
Under each priority area are specific actions and initiatives identified for the 2023-2026 Council term. To ensure the town is on track to delivering on these actions, staff will be building a key community indicators dashboard that will be available on the town’s website to share data on the town’s progress towards achieving our shared goals and priorities.
- Although priorities and actions are developed every term of Council, the long-term strategic plan, including the previous mission and vision, remained the same for 15 years. The town’s long-term vision and mission have been updated through the Town of Oakville Council Strategic Plan and 2023-2026 Action Plan and priorities and actions have been set to help guide Council and town staff’s decisions, plans, and budgets for the next four years.
- The plan reflects ideas and experiences shared from broad engagement with the community over the last five months (phone and online surveys, open house events in each ward, consultation with community groups and town staff and leadership, and Council interviews and workshops with experts) to understand the wants and needs of our community, while intentionally seeking out diverse perspectives.
- The plan also integrates an analysis of research, learnings and best practices based on municipal trends and has been informed by community profile data.
- Deloitte Canada has been assisting the town over the last six months in this work for its expertise in visioning, strategic planning, public sector market research, continuous improvement and innovation, and engagement.
Mayor Rob Burton, said, “The Town of Oakville Council Strategic Plan and 2023-2026 Action Plan has been shaped by the needs and wants of our community and sets a path for us to thrive and be successful. Council and I are excited to continue serving the community with more focus and are deeply committed to advancing town priorities, strengthening municipal operations, and dedicating resources toward achieving Oakville’s vision of a vibrant and livable community for all.”
“With extensive community engagement over the last six months, the Town of Oakville Council Strategic Plan and 2023-2026 Action Plan reflects what matters most to Oakville, now and into the future. This roadmap will help provide Council and staff with direction and purpose as we strive to be a vibrant and livable community for all by serving the community in a responsible, inclusive way, dedicated to building economic, social, and environmental sustainability,” CAO Jane Clohecy said.