The Toronto Police Service is making the public aware of a robbery investigation.
On Monday, August 21, 2023, police responded to a robbery call in the Wilson Avenue and Dufferin Street area.
It is alleged that:
- a man dressed in construction clothing attended a jewellery store acting as though he was there to do work
- he grabbed an employee and tried unsuccessfully to bind their hands with zip-ties
- he produced a hammer and began to smash the glass display cases and removing the jewellery
- he then produced a knife and threatened the employees
- after a brief struggle, he dropped his toolbox, backpack and knife before fleeing the area empty-handed
On Thursday, August 31, 2023, police responded to a person with a gun call in the Yonge Street and Empress Avenue area.
It is alleged that:
- a man attended a jewellery store for a pre-arranged meeting to make a large purchase of merchandise
- he spent some time discussing the transaction with the employees and then requested to see a watch he was trying to purchase
- the employee handed him the watch and he immediately fled the store
- the employees ran after the man and a violent struggle ensued when they caught up with him
- the man produced a handgun and threatened the employees
- Security officers working in the mall quickly arrived and took the man into custody
It is further alleged that:
- at the time of the arrest, officers recovered the stolen watch and a replica handgun
Saliem Talash, 26, of Toronto, was charged with:
- two counts of Robbery With Offensive Weapon
- Disguise With Intent
- Use Imitation Firearm During Commission of Indictable Offence
- Assault With Weapon
- Weapons Dangerous
- Carry Concealed Weapon
- Uttering Threats
- Possession Counterfeit Money
- Possession Property Obtained by Crime Over
He will appear in court on Friday, September 1, 2023, at 10:00 a.m., at the Toronto Regional Bail Centre, 2201 Finch Avenue West, Room 105.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7350, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), or at www.222tips.com.